CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 06, 2008

DOOCE

Heather Armstrong, author of Dooce.com has published her first book. It is a compilation of essays from respectable writers about fatherhood. She was conducting a book signing tonight at a local book store. I have admired her writing for many years and have kept close tabs on her blog. She has a "high-traffic" blog and is able to support her family with the income created from companies advertising on her blog. She lives here in Salt Lake with her husband, young daughter and two dogs. I appreciate her writing because it hits close to home. I feel like I can connect with the things she writes about and she has an excellent writing style. I was so excited to speak with her tonight. We arrived at the book store and it was PACKED!!! There was a line reaching through the store and out into the parking lot. She has gained a lot of attention lately due to her blog and her new book. She has appeared on numerous local news shows as well as Good Morning America. It's no wonder that so many people showed up today.
Once I reached the head of the line and said hello to her, I couldn't think of anything else to say. I got all tongue tied and flustered. It may as well have been Tom Petty sitting in front of me. I was awe struck in her presence. I did have my picture taken with her though. Check it out, it's pretty cool.

Ryan is a very shy, timid boy both with adults and other children. While I was waiting in line at the book signing he sat on a bench and looked at a bird book. Eventually he rejoined me in line and another little boy wandered over, grabbed a bird book and sat on the bench. Ryan walked over to this little boy and sat right next to him on the bench. I was so impressed. He is breaking out of his shell. He's going to go make a new friend. He then scooted over so far that the other little boy was scooted right off the bench. As his bum hit the floor, the little boy realized that he had just lost claim to the bench. He had a look of confusion on his face, as did I. I didn't think Ry had that kind of behavior in him. Just when I think I have him all figured out, he pulls a stunt like this?!

1 comments:

~♥Bug-n-Bear♥~ said...

How exciting. I often read her blog as well. It's really funny. :o) Glad you got to meet her!